Hotel Provides New Service: Goldfish Companion
SPRINGFIELD, Mo. – June 15, 2012 – A hotel in Springfield, Mo., now offers an additional up-“scale” complimentary service for its guests. Upon arrival, just ask for Chip, Flipper, Sparkle or Blondie. At John Q. Hammons Hotels & Resorts’ University Plaza Hotel and Convention Center, guests can choose to have a live goldfish in their room during their stay, based on availability. These quiet, colorful pets come in a decorative bowl, adding to guestroom ambiance.
“Our complimentary goldfish service has proven to be extremely popular, especially for people missing their pets,” said Robert Henley, general manager at the hotel. “Guests comment that they find the goldfish calming, even entertaining.”
The new program is one of many being implemented at the hotel in the heart of downtown Springfield. Others include:
- Adding locally grown food items to restaurant and banquet menus
- Serving locally produced beers in the bar
- Placing locally made chocolates on guest pillows during turn-down service
- Offering interactive breaks, such as cupcake and barbecue sauce making sessions, for convention attendees
- Providing cooking demonstrations by the hotel’s chefs at a local farmers’ market
- Sponsoring the Springfield Regional Arts Council’s (SRAC) Corporate Art Program to support the local arts community and displaying local art in the hotel’s atrium
- Participating in the city’s monthly First Friday Art Walk
- Offering Happy Hour Live each Wednesday with drink and appetizer specials, live music and samples of local foods
Travel packages are also among the University Plaza Hotel and Convention Center’s new offerings, including the Urban Escape, Fun Zone Getaway, Romantic Getaway, Dinner and a Movie, and Pet Friendly Package, complete with pet treats and turn-down service for the pet’s bed.
As for the goldfish, the little companion is a worry-free experience for guests. Hotel staff delivers the fish to the room, as well as feeds and cares for it. All the guest has to do is enjoy the company.
Located at 333 S. John Q. Hammons Parkway, the University Plaza Hotel and Convention Center is owned and operated by Springfield-based John Q. Hammons Hotels & Resorts, the largest private, independent owner and manager of hotels in the United States. The company also operates the Springfield Expo Center.
Learn more about University Plaza Hotel & Convention Center at www.upspringfield.com.
Learn more about Springfield at www.SpringfieldAdventures.com or call the Convention
& Visitors Bureau at 800-678-8767.
Robert Henley, University Plaza Hotel & Convention Center, 417‐864‐7333
Susan Wade; Convention & Visitors Bureau; 800‐678‐8767, Ext. 101; 417‐799‐0401; 417‐830‐0645(cell) or email@example.com